FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Plan my lounge visits!
View Single Post
Old Feb 13, 2018, 12:39 pm
booogle

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by seat1C
I did this routing in November, using one of the MH via Expedia fares that Raffles had featured on Head for Points - about £1,500 pp inc a night in the IC Sydney! Unless anything has changed since then, MH do have their own lounge in T4 which even has a first section. There's a glass wall (with door) running between the staffed bar and the window, which makes it a bit like a Public Bar/Lounge Bar dividing line. There's a buffet in the first section as well as waitress service - I was on the 10am flight so had an omelette IIRC. The drinks offering looks pretty similar, except that the barman serves the folk in the J lounge Prosecco whilst those in the F lounge get the proper stuff. (Can't remember what type it was).

In KUL (which I've flown through 6 times in the last 9 months) you should be able to get into the newly refurbished MH First lounge in the Satellite. On my first time through last April I was on an MH-coded Bangkok Airways flight, so had no access, and the last twice (in November and January) it's been closed for refurbishment, so had to use the regional MH lounge in the main terminal. The regional lounge is OK, but only has 2 showers in the gents (and presumably the same in the ladies...) which get really busy when a flight comes in where loads of folk are connecting (such as the one you're on...). Hopefully the Satellite lounge will be more civilised from that perspective. If you do have to use the regional lounge then it isn't bad at all - the staff are nice and the food is good enough for a quick bite. If you are in the regional lounge and want a shower I'd advise going straight to the toilets (the showers are located in there) and make yourself known. It may seem disorganised but the staff were really good at coming to find us in the lounge when it was our turn.

If the new MH lounge isn't available (or you just want a change) then the CX lounge in the satellite is OK, but it's very much an old fashioned regional lounge with a very limited selection. It's design is similar to the old CX lounge in T3, but much smaller.

In Sydney, no contest - the QF F lounge is the only place to go!
I travelled on one of the Expedia fares also last June. We went to the Qatar lounge in T4, and on arrival the attendent said something along the lines of "there is a Malaysianairlines lounge for their passengers here you know?", to which we said we'd like to try the Qatar lounge and were then "let in"! It's a nice lounge. We had some nice food and a drink. It was a very quiet so we decided to try the Malaysian lounge in which we enjoyed a few drinks, it was better than I'd imagined and I'd go back there.

I don't recall which lounge we used in KUL, it was a really large and pleasant lounge and the staff were very attentive. We were not there long so just grabbed a coffee.

Didn't try the showers at either though.