FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Rebooking due to tight connection in CHO
View Single Post
Old Feb 13, 2018, 9:35 am
laxmillenial

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
Called UA and was turned down to reroute IAD-ORD-ARN despite having only 9 minutes to transfer with a gate-checked stroller. Also would not allow me to drop the IAD-CHO leg (and drive to CHO) since this is how I booked the trip. In the words of the agent, "no sympathy". Not sure if it's because it's a more friendly airline or having elite status helps, but it's quite a contrast with my experiences with Delta. Night and day actually.

It looks like I could take the same plane back to IAD if we miss the ORD flight and still make our TATL (IAD-CHO-IAD-ORD-ARN), but that would be unpleasant with a squirmy baby and would rely on having open seats on the additional flights. But at least it's possible.
So some additional guidance:

1. If you want to call again, call again. Remember HUCA! Try one more time or maybe even 2 if you're feeling lucky. You may get a more sympaethetic agent. It wouldn't hurt in this case.
2. Day of Departure: Watch your inbound aircraft via the UA app. If it pushes back 5 minutes late, takes off 5 minutes late, is scheduled to arrive 5 minutes late, call. Go see an agent at IAD. Say, look 9 minutes just became 4 or less. And with a child! Ask to either have the original IAD-CHO leg removed so you can fly IAD-ORD-ARN. Or ask to be protected on the CHO-IAD return flight to make the IAD-ORD-ARN flight.

P.S. I hope you booked this trip on a credit card with trip delay insurance so that your overnight won't be out of pocket. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best!