FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chase UR points value vs Amex MR?
View Single Post
Old Feb 12, 2018, 1:05 pm
jungly

Originally Posted by hotturnip
The Chase Visa. Amex is not as widely accepted.
I don't know why you can't just continue to use both like you're doing now, unless you're looking to avoid the annual fees.
You say you usually fly on AA--neither allows direct transfers to AAdvantage. You'd have to transfer to BA instead. And if you're wanting to redeem for flights, AA is the absolute worst.
I have found Chase's travel site to be useful, even in the short one year I've had the card. Comes in handy sometimes when you can book a room cheaper that way than by transferring the points to a program.
If your home airport has a good Priority Pass lounge that you can use regularly, that's a plus for Chase. But the Amex lounges are nicer--if fewer in number--so if you have THAT at your home airport, maybe that counts.
Overall, I'd vote for Chase.
Ill be keeping both cards Amex platinum and chase reserve.

My question is do I get more bang for my buck using Chase UR 3x on flights or Amex MR 5x on flights over the next year? With an end goal objective of flying to Europe in either first class (emirate, Lufthansa, etc) or sending the whole family on economy (any airline, even AA where I have elite status will suffice although their airline is not as fancy as the euro ones).

You say nether card transfers to AA, which is fine I'm looking to see where do people find these great cheap deals to fly first class or send a family of 8 on economy for a fraction of the price.

Forecast: if I stop putting points on Amex then I should have 300k points on chase and 100k on Amex by end of year. This does not include the other churning card points I do for hotels and cars.

Other cards I'm picking up are chase ink preferred and freedom. Plus a whole slew of other churning cards like Amex Hilton ascend, Marriott, hyat, to cover my hotel stays for free.

Long story short is 3x chase flights better then 5x Amex points when redeeming? Or does it not matter because in the end people transfer them to a one world airline like British and technically I might squeeze a few more points using Amex 5x?

im curious to know of anyone who uses both cards why do you select one over the other for putting flight points in that one.