FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Seat upgrade coupons
View Single Post
Old Feb 12, 2018, 3:44 am
DELLAS

Originally Posted by Xandrios
I flew on an upgraded flight (AMS-ATH) this week and something weird happened at the gate.

First I was called to the desk and handed a new boarding pass. Moved from 2C (business) to 3E (Economy). My first comment was directly interrupted with a rude "Thats how it is, the flight is full, we can't change it" reply. When I pushed and told them that I was booked in business she started typing and after 5 minutes handed me a new BP for my original seat 2C.

Up untill a few hours before boarding most of the business cabin was empty. However during boarding it seemed that one family was either booked or upgraded to business, and all of the (until then empty) business class seats filled up by them. Except..that one kid belonging to that same family was in Economy...in seat 3E. Coincidence? I don't think so..

So either somebody attempted to downgrade me to allow for a last minute paid business class reservation, they were some kind of VIPs (Which didn't seem to be the case, they looked like an average, snobby, family from the US), or, the computer didn't realize that I was in business and moved me to allow them to sit together.

In the end it was fine for me as I was still able to travel in business, but the experience was extremely strange.
That is certainly not a good impresssion. Maybe the handling agents at AMS wanted to sit the kid with the rest of the family and thought you might not notice until it was too late. There is no way they could not have seen that you were in Business Class. It clearly shows the difference in the computer.

They could be VIP maybe there was a note in their reservation from ATH to upgrade them. Still that should not be at the expense of downgrading a Gold revenue passenger even with GUC. From my experience average looking people can indeed be VIP , its the ones in suits and dressing up for flights which are the ones to watch out for trying to be VIPs .