FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chase UR points value vs Amex MR?
View Single Post
Old Feb 11, 2018, 9:08 pm
jungly

​​​​​​​Flying to Europe in first class or business class at a minimum preferably on emerites, Lufthansa, or other luxury airline. Destinations are SaintPetersburg Russia and Rome Italy.

My job requires me to travel twice a month so I'll likely have platinum pro or exec by end of year on AA (their 3rd 4th tier status). I rack up expenses on both CSR and AmexPlat.

Many online "travel" guides say, keep it simple and dump all expenses on CSR so you deal with one portal end of story. And churn cards for bonuses.

others recommend finding the max value of each card and expensing it separately.

truth is I'm still learning about this whole points. Example many say transfer points to airline, so does that mean I look up what flight I want first then transfer to the airline? How do I know if it's cheaper to get first class using UR portal on British airway vs transferring; is there a website?

currently I'm doing the following:
if im not churning the next bonus points card that month then I'm doing:
flights - Amex platinum 5x
​​​​​​​hotels, car, dining - chase reserve 3x

My question is : should I expense flights to chase reserve for the flexibility? Or continue to put on platinum. Since I'm date flexible, I always hear about people getting first class to Europe for pennies; where can I get info on this, is this where you transfer points to an airline and not use the MR or UR portal?

I plan to fly to these destinations (and other euro places) in two years or in 2020. As for flight insurance, what does chase cover? Plane crash or trip delay insurance (if flight is delayed I assume it's free for them to reschedule me). Chase has good car insurance.

Which of the two cards is more European friendly?