FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Connecting on separate tickets
View Single Post
Old Feb 10, 2018, 10:21 pm
formeraa
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Kumulani
Unfortunately, HA does not check bags through to other airlines on separate tickets. HA and AA are on opposite sides of the airport. How much time you leave for connections is really a personal thing, but I can tell you I would leave at least 2 hours for this connection. At a different airport, with different airlines, I might leave a lot more time for a connection like this. However, I'm comfortable with less in this case because Hawaiian has excellent on-time performance, they are usually very quick with baggage delivery on interisland flights, and HNL is not huge anyway. That gives you 15 minutes to get off your interisland flight and pick up your bags, 10 minutes to walk over to the AA check-in area, 20 minutes to check in your bag, and 30 minutes to go through security and get to your gate before boarding starts.

As a disclaimer, that is just how much time I would personally leave. Many people would leave more. Keep in mind that I have TSA Precheck, tend to move at a brisk pace, and know the airport well. If you don't have Precheck, want a more relaxed pace, or aren't confident in unfamiliar airports, you may want to leave more time.
Frankly, I would leave a minimum of 3 hours to be safe. Frankly, even as a elite and flying F on AA, I've waited nearly 30 minutes to check-in. Of course, security at HNL can also take quite a bit of time (unless you have pre-check). So, I would allow 3 to 3.5 hours to be safe.