FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Diamond v. Gold: is there a tangible difference in perks?
Old Feb 10, 18, 7:17 pm
krazykanuck

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, Starriott Platinum, Hyatt FreeBottleofWaterist
Originally Posted by iahphx View Post
I've heard rumors that "foreign hotels treat you better as a Diamond" so I'm inclined to get this new AMEX card -- as I have several stays at full service foreign hotels planned for this year. Is there much truth to these rumors, and are the increased benefits at all predictable -- and meaningful? And do I have to read the reviews for each property to predict what I might get (which I assume will influence my decision as to which property to stay in when there are multiple Hilton choices)? Thanks for any wisdom that can be shared.
As a Diamond, I have zero complaints as to how I've been treated abroad. Guaranteed lounge access is huge if you're staying at hotels with very good lounges (think Hilton Tokyo, literally any Conrad in Asia). I've had nice room upgrades, drink chits included at hotels that don't have a lounge (Hilton Narita, I even got a couple of drink chits at the Hilton Tokyo and they have a lounge!), lots of benefits that I never got as a Gold. If you're mostly a US/Canada stayer the marginal difference between Gold and Diamond is pretty much nil, and I say that as somebody who has been Silver, Gold, and Diamond over the last few years.

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
But overall, Hilton Diamond is (IMO) considerably less valuable than top tier at Hyatt, SPG, or Marriott.
Yeah. It would be nice if Hilton would include guaranteed suite night upgrades like SPG or Hyatt does.