FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A3 begins charging for advance seat reservations - limited discount for A3*G
Old Feb 8, 2018, 6:03 am
irishguy28
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I decided to have a look at Lufthansa's charges for seat selection, and A3 is not entirely out of whack with what, presumably, is the most prevalent version of a European Star Alliance seat-paying regime.

Neither HON Circle nor Sentaors receive any discount on short and medium haul seats. (The fees can only be avoided entirely by booking a Flex or Classic fare). Even standard seats are chargeable, for SEN and HON CIRC if purchased as a Light fare. [Note that they also seemingly charge everyone on European feeder flights to any longhaul flight - even if that longhaul flight is in First or Business, and regardless of status!!! ]

https://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/seat...-economy-class

That said, if there are other Star Alliance options that give you an extra legroom seat for free, then by all means, book them! The demand for such seats will probably surge, leading those operators to reconsider this lost revenue-generating possibility...

A3 should probably reconsider charging seat selection fees for Economy Flex passengers, though...

Given that I can't find any mention of paid seat selection for Croatia Airlines or Adria, I assume these are the last two European *A members that don't charge at all for seat selection. All the others do, with differing schemes - though none extend any exemption or discount offered to their own status members to passengers holding status in any other FFP.
Attached Images  

Last edited by irishguy28; Feb 8, 2018 at 6:19 am