FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A3 begins charging for advance seat reservations - limited discount for A3*G
Old Feb 7, 2018, 11:37 pm
headingwest

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nk15
I think sending emails to A3 expressing strong disappointment about their treatment of Golds could help. Last time I sent such an email to an organization they emailed me back the next day saying that they changed the prices back, lol, I was impressed...

Companies know that for every person who writes to complain about something there are ten who thought about it but didn't bother to do it...
Personally I think this is a bit optimistic. The way it looks to me, from comments here and reading the reply from Aegean to my complaint, is that they have decided that this will be a good 'cash cow' (a bit like BA and Cruz's beloved 'Buy on Board'). When they adopt that kind of attitude all common business sense goes out the window. Unlike for BA, I think that a loss of many status passengers for Aegean could be very dicey indeed because their business dynamics are completely different to an international airline. A lot of Aegean's success has been down to the easier Star Alliance Gold qualification, good catering, and general good customer service. I think if they change any of these elements (as they now have) then a lot of passengers who could fly with other airlines but choose to fly with Aegean (because it's been a more pleasurable experience) will start to book more convenient airlines for price, flying durations and schedules.

I'm a prime example!

Looking at my bookings for this year, I have approximately 21 hours with Aegean in economy. I always chose the exit row seats in the past but now I have the unpleasant thought of all that time in a standard economy seat. Not the end of the world, but it certainly makes me focus my mind on whether flying all the way to Athens and back to get to the UK is really worth the hassle. This week I booked 2 flights with another Star Alliance carrier, so I think I know where this is heading......

It's a shame because in many espects of what they do, Aegean really can't be faulted. It seems that they have decided to follow the general trend in European aviation of not setting the standard, but instead lowering the standard to everyone else's level. Sad.