FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Renewing/Applying for NEXUS/Global Entry with Customs Violation/Warning
Old Feb 7, 2018, 9:33 am
Balkan

Upcoming GE interview / prior customs incident

I have my Global Entry interview coming up and so I've passed the first page. I answered every question truthfully to the best of my ability, including that I had never been found to have had a customs violation.

However, I do now recall one incident from 2 or 3 years ago, which I do not think of as a finding of violation. I arrived with my family from Europe at JFK. At baggage claim, an agent asked if me if I had any food in the checked luggage. I then answered--after quick consultation with my spouse--that there was something. It was either that I had forgotten about it or it was that my spouse had packed and I didn't even know about. I don't remember exactly what - maybe some chocolate or a jar of honey, or a yogurt something. It was something small.

The agent then thanked me for my honesty and then revealed that a dog had sniffed it. She told me that because I gave her a completely honest answer straight away I would not be fined. I never heard anything more about it, have never been flagged for extra inspection (as best I can remember, although I have some dim recollection that maybe I got an X once? If so, it was no big deal there was definitely no extra searching or anything).

Will this be grounds for denial? Or do you think I will be ok? I made the application for my whole family, so it will really defeat the point if I am now rejected! After searching online, I am seeing that similar incidents are treated seriously for GE purposes, but I wasn't sure about my case given the facts.