FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - JNB-LHR SAA Reduces London Frequency / Introduces A330-300 to Route
Old Feb 6, 2018, 4:06 am
evanb

Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, LH/SN/LX Senator
Originally Posted by purch

Speculation, which is pretty much all we do here on FT

But seriously, probably on the basis that most normal airlines would close down a route which runs at a loss over a long period. BA were running 2x daily 747 into JNB for ages and even upgraded one flight to the 380. Can’t see them doing that if they were already losing money, especially since they have the opportunity to downgauge to the 777 if needed. Anecdotally, a BA FA on a LHR-JNB told me about a year ago that the premium cabins are usually packed on this route, which although doesn’t prove anything is a good indication that they probably do OK.

I’m happy to be corrected though, you seem to be quite knowledgeable in this area.
Considering that VS has reduced capacity on the route in recent years, and has cut LHR-CPT entirely suggests that not all airlines are making merry here. I've never suggested that BA are not making money on the route, quite the contrary. What I'm suggesting is that they're making money because of their JV traffic, which SA and VS don't have access to (I guess VS have some access, but very small).