FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amtrak/CSX Collision in South Carolina
View Single Post
Old Feb 4, 2018, 10:42 pm
jackal
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by AlanB
First let me say that I'm not a RR employee, and never worked for a RR. But I've been around train forums for many years and still help to run one.

That said, I've never heard that rule that he speaks of. There is a rule that says if a signal fails, or is somehow not under the proper control of the dispatcher, that the crew must operate the train at a reduced speed until the next good signal. Additionally, there is a rule that states that if the train stops for any reason, like at a station, and the crew cannot see the next signal that they must operate the train as though the next signal will be red and they will need to stop. it's called the delayed in block or DIB rule.

But based upon the reporting so far, neither is the case here. According to what I've seen, all the signals in a specific area were deliberately turned off by CSX. That causes the RR to revert to Track Warrant operations. And under track warrant operations, assuming no other factors like recent track work, the train would be allowed to operate at normal track speeds for that area. There are actually a few places where Amtrak and the host RR, still operate under track warrant rules because there are no signals at all. Not many left where Amtrak operates, and under the Congressional mandate for PTC, even those areas must be signaled and have PTC installed.
Thanks for posting. I did work for a railroad (albeit only for a summer, and not one of the majors, though we used the same rulebook and training system BNSF uses) and couldn't recall any specific provisions for slow speeds when signals were inoperative. I almost posted earlier but I wasn't sure enough to stand on it, but I'm fairly sure I can corroborate your belief.

That said, I do seem to recall that maximum allowed speeds in dark territory (track warrants or direct traffic control--anything without signals) were 59mph passenger and 49mph freight. That very well could have been a restriction at my railroad or caused by something else, but either way, the 55mph that Amtrak was traveling would have been perfectly normal for a line without ABS or CTC.