FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Alternatives to United Mileage Plus X
View Single Post
Old Feb 1, 2018, 9:26 pm
elegua

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
MPX does not code as travel with Chase (at least, not on my CSR). It codes as whatever category the store is in. So if I buy a starbucks card through MPX is codes as dining (3x pts on my CSR) but if I buy a Google Play gift card it codes as "other" and I get 1 pt.

On the other hand, with my Amazon Visa (also from Chase), Amazon GCs through MPX do NOT earn 3x pts (they come through as "other purchases"). Presumably they are looking at the payment processor to determine the bonus -- if it's not Amazon, no bonus.

Of course Amex may do things differently. But any broad statements about whether they count as travel or something else is dependent on, at least, the credit card company, and, more likely, the actual card. My suggestion is to buy a small-valued GC for somewhere where you shop anyway, and see how it codes, and don't expect it to be consistent across all your CCs (so if you don't like the result, try a different card)
See post #9 , Rachelrobinson asked for Amex Plat and no Chase so the answer is yes, using Amex Plat or Amex Plat Schwab through MPX count as travel and do earn 5x pts.