FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Super Bowl hotel advice-MSP
View Single Post
Old Feb 1, 2018, 9:21 am
MSPeconomist
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Mickidon
Thanks for your updates. Packing now and trying to figure out what level of boots will be needed - do you expect that boots capable of trekking through snow will be need (just staying
in the downtown grid?) or just warm low boots with good traction?

Availability of hotels keeps increasing and I'm sure the weather isn't not going to tempt any last minute trips to be planned.
Watch the forecast, but I'd opt for the warm low boots with traction. City sidewalks and streets are generally clear of snow, but there's a bit of ice when one steps off the sidewalk to cross a street. In many but not all places you can step over or around the slippery spots, but I wouldn't want to be outside in any footwear with smooth soles. Don't forget a serious hat and warm gloves or mittens, plus a scarf and your warmest coat with sweaters to layer underneath it.

BTW, traffic this morning seems to be fine. In fact, all three parking ramps at Target Center (downtown around 6th Street and Hennepin, so about a block or two away from the center of the party stuff on Nicollet Mall in the downtown shopping/business district) had lots of space and no lines around 9:30 am, although the garage at Government Center (several blocks on the other side of Nicollet Mall) was full. Many downtown businesses have been encouraging employees to work from home if at all possible, and it seems to be working (so far). OTOH, parking facilities are charging premium event prices (I heard $65 but don't know details) and some are rumored not to be honoring monthly parking contracts. ADDED: Event parking on campus this weekend (the Minneapolis campus of the University of Minnesota, East and West Banks--the campus lies on both sides of the Mississippi River, starting just on the edge of downtown near the stadium--is likely to cost $40; the stadium is walkable but parking spaces are limited.

Enjoy your long weekend in the frozen north. If you're brave and want to venture a bit beyond the downtown core (but still walkable if you're energetic), there's a zip line over the river. You can also go over to St Paul to see the ice castle. IIRC there's also public outdoor ice skating there, free and with skates to rent. The light rail goes to St Paul with one transfer (normally at the football stadium).

ADDED: There are even more police/military helicopters flying around today than earlier in the week.

ADDED FRIDAY: Now there are small aircraft with banners flying around over downtown.

This morning I saw (presumably heated, but maybe not?) garage parking being offered at the downtown Embassy Suites for $75 per day/night (which is extraordinary here, albeit not so much for NYC etc.) while the Renaissance and residence Inn at the Depot still had their sign up offering a daily rate of $9 for anyone arriving before 9:00 am. Yesterday evening all of the downtown parking ramps and garages seemed to have space; I saw one price sign for $20, but most of them weren't posting prices.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Feb 2, 2018 at 4:45 pm