View Single Post
Old Jan 31, 18, 8:20 pm
dkc192

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by aztimm View Post
Thanks for bumping this!

I played around a little. Most of the fares I'm finding are around $2700. The easiest is MIA-GRU-JNB, JNB-GRU-MIA. There's a longish layover in GRU on the outbound (12 hours), but could easily head into town for a bit.
I also found MIA-SCL-GRU-JNB, JNB-GRU-LIM-MIA. With this, the MIA-SCL leg is on a B787. There's a longish layover at SCL, but it looks like Chile no longer requires a special visa.
All of the TA legs seem to be on a B767. Does anyone know how those are? I have horrible memories of US and AA B767's.

Right now I'm tentatively looking at early/mid Sep. It is a toss up of this or PE on BA to PVG. Of course this would be more comfortable. The BA option is much more seamless, AUS-LHR-PVG (I did it last year). For this I'd need to position to MIA.

I've been to JNB before and liked it. A car rental (with full insurance) was cheap. And if you have a spare day, I highly recommend driving out to Pilanesburg NP. Heck if I do this run I'd go again.
I'm looking into this fare to go to CPT--I'd have to position to MIA from BOS as well, but given the relative lack of US-Africa premium fare deals, this could be worth it. For the dates I'm considering in early November, I can get the same MIA-GRU-JNB and back itinerary you described for $2,320, or a MIA-SCL-GRU-JNB, JNB-GRU-MIA itinerary for the same price, with three hours each in SCL and GRU. Perhaps inventory is a little more limited in September.

The JJ 767s used on JNB-GRU sport these fully lie flat seats in a 2-2-2 configuration, similar to those on the LA 788s except slightly narrower and without an ottoman. Significantly better than NGBC or whatever was on those old US birds!