FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Any jealousy in BA premium cabins
View Single Post
Old Jan 31, 2018, 6:41 am
subject2load

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
I have never encountered anything that could be remotely described as ‘jealousy’ whether on BA First (of which my experience dates back to the mid-eighties, and earlier still in economy cabins), or indeed with the many other carriers I have flown In F. The vast majority (and yes, we all know of exceptions, sometimes very notable exceptions) of CC I come across are very professional in their manner and attitude.

There is of course the very real possibility that some CC might be thinking “what a fool you are for spending so much, with absolutely nothing to show for it after a journey lasting just a few hours” (unlike say, a tangible high-value purchase). But the reality is that a good chunk of the general public feel the very same way ! Especially those who have the resources to travel ‘upfront’, but instead choose, happily, to sit down the back.

The documentary you mention - whilst still fairly recent - now comes across as already heavily, heavily outdated in some ways (perhaps almost laughable in today’s context) ; and, even when first shown, there were elements which were downright misleading and disingenuous - not least, the fare price quoted, which was far from representative, as others point out above. That aside, the main point of the new joiners being told of those first class fare levels was (IIRC) to emphasise the fact that passengers paying big money expect and deserve the highest of service levels. Whether or not the message had the desired effect on all concerned is a matter of judgment ........

Your question could equally apply to staff (especially, say, chambermaids) working in five-star hotels where some top suites can cost more for one night than annual earnings of those employed to service and clean them. It was ever thus ..... it’s the way of the world. And whilst it obviously presents a picture of huge inequality, there is always the matter that such job opportunities would not exist at all if the demand for high-end products & services was not there to begin with.