FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Thailand Honeymoon Help for Nov/Dec 2018
View Single Post
Old Jan 30, 2018, 2:30 am
EuropeanPete

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I enjoy moving around a lot so personally I think your schedule is doable, but there is not a huge amount of advantage to be had from doing both Phuket and Koh Samui. They're logistically very far apart and ultimately are pretty inter-changeable. Both islands are nowadays spoilt by tourism, but have some exceptional hotels. The FS Koh Samui is (by reputation) fantastic, though Phuket is usually better value than Koh Samui and has an Aman and a number of top end hotels like Trisara which you could consider. I would back up Mohamed and say that I personally wasn't over-awed by the W Samui, especially given the price.

If you're young and active have you considered taking a 1-night boat trip out to one of the smaller remote islands and staying at somewhere a bit more shack on a beach for one night? It will be a really memorable experience, and there's a full range from electricity free beach huts (maybe that's taking it a bit far) to something like The Place on Koh Tao (check out the view from their Honeymoon Villa) - all secluded, private, and really not costing very much, but also undeniably not a luxury experience. For me, this would greatly add to the richness of a trip where you otherwise get quite used to having someone always nearby with a cold hand towel.

You have many great options in Bangkok, so personally I would skip the Marriott hotels. Best at the top end are the Siam or Mandarin Oriental, the Peninsula is one of the world's great hotels and is now in the middle range of price (check out tablet.com for special offers) and the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit is a bit favourite of people on the Starwood forum (including my own) for top level service at a very reasonable price.

Last edited by EuropeanPete; Jan 30, 2018 at 2:36 am