FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [ARCHIVE to 2018] American Express Announces Two New Hilton Credit Cards
Old Jan 26, 2018, 11:17 am
HawkeyeFlyer

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by AbyssalLoris
Thanks for all the replies. I think I am finding along similar lines - hard to make good value of the Ascend unless it is used for a chunk of real spending (I don't do any MS). For me, the EDP really trumps anything on groceries and I am quite happy with the TYPremier for restaurants and travel (not that travel other than Hilton is to be put on the Ascend). My assumption would be that I couldn't hit the $15k on the Ascend due to the opportunity cost of doing so. In this situation, perhaps the Ascend isn't a great option at all.

I am not in the UR scheme for now but mean to go there. I don't value UR as tremendously greater than TYP, aside perhaps from the hotel (Hyatt) transfer value. I don't like Southwest very much, and while I do agree on the value of United miles, I would mostly redeem for international travel (probably to Asia). For that, there are excellent options both in MR and TYP. Regardless, I do think UR shines in the ability to earn points more than TYP. I would be loathe to transfer points (UR, MR, TYP) to hotels over airlines with the exception of Hyatt. I'm not getting the CSP as I would prefer to get the CSR, and am (foolishly perhaps) holding out for a larger bonus on the latter.

So, coming back to hotel cards (or any other not covered) - what is my alternative? The problem with Wyndham is that anywhere I'm likely to go in the near future wouldn't have good Wyndham options where I'd want to stay. I am never looking for the highest end hotels - I don't value them enough to make the points worth it and certainly not the dollars, but don't know about Wyndham options in places like Hawaii, Cancun or the Carribean (I know that is a large spread). SPG: Most of these places only list high category hotels that would fetch only 1 night from the bonus, where 2 would be nice. I'm really not enamored of the earning rate on SPG. The Marriott card seems meh, and as someone who'd never stay enough for hotel elite status (vs. airline, where international trips can quickly earn status), the benefits seem poor. These hotel consolidations are not so good for us consumers/churners, methinks. Sorry for the rambling post. Creative suggestions still appreciated. Any worthwhile ways airline miles can be used to book hotels with good value for miles? AA or Jetblue, perhaps?
I would not hold my breathe on a larger sign up bonus on CSR. Chase lost their butts on this card with sign up bonuses, if anything trying to find ways to re-coup it