FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sheraton Rio Hotel & Resort, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil [Master Thread]
Old Jan 26, 2018, 9:10 am
jupper

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott LT Au, Hilton C, IHG PtA
5 night redemption stay and still a hit & miss

Booked a 5 night redemption stay and got a pro-active reachout from the Club Receptionist via e-mail, including urging me to check in on the 26th floor. Upon arrival (past 2AM as indicated) no one to be seen there, regular check-in desk informed me that no Club access was offered (then why does the Club reach out !?). Next interaction with the Club desk was a day prior to check-out, if I needed transportation (no, arranged for myself).

Location is wonderful, renovated pool is very nice, got a room overlooking the ocean in the older non-tower building.

Beware of the on-premise ATM, it will add a BRL surcharge (OK, understandable) and print a receipt in BRL. However the charge to my creditcard was in USD, even more fun to get a 20% higher BRL/USD rate plus the USD/EUR on top of it.

Room-Service is definitely a miss, takes very long (1 hour 15 minutes was the longest), cook things Medium Well when requested as Medium Rare, deliver the wrong things (Filet Mignon with sauce instead of the Sirloin Grill etc). House keeping is another interesting one, if you leave food clearly marked to not be taken (fruit platter) or bring your own special glasses, they will disappear, even from the minibar-fridge.

Check-out required me to go over the check with a fine-toothed comb, they charged the same Room-Service check 5 times to my room. The agent was helpful in going over that all, but also insisted on splitting the bill, once the authorized amount from check-in and then the rest.

All-in-all, if you need a really relaxing holiday, this property is not be the best place squarely at odds with what a "Sheraton Grand" experience should be. Which given the location and for example the excellent pool staff is a grand shame.

Last edited by jupper; Jan 26, 2018 at 9:24 am Reason: Typo