FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Argentina and Chile
View Single Post
Old Jan 25, 2018, 12:28 pm
JohnnyColombia
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by go787
Regarding Chile, in the Puerto Montt area you have lots of beautiful options. You can go to Puerto Varas, Frutillar, Lago todos los Santos (Petrohue and Peulla), hike in Cochamo or visit Chiloe island. Considering you have just 4 days I would not go to the city of Puerto Montt and, clearly, choose some of the options I gave you.
I second this, it is a Flyertalk firm favourite. Get a rental car from Pueto Montt airport, drive to Puerto Varas. Next day drive to Petrohue, drive up Volcán Osorno, have a hot chocolate. Drive back down, have a leisurely driver around Lago Llanquihue until you reach Frutillar, have tea and cake, drive back to Puerto Varas

That leaves you 2 spare days, I would honestly be inclined to stay in Puerto Varas, maybe a drive along the coast a bit.

Ancud on Chiloe is a place where I have had happy times, to really push it you can probably make it to Valdivia for a night but Ruta 5 tolls are not as cheap as they used to be. I love Valdivia, a trip to Niebla is a favourite, a boat ride around the rivers, a trip to the Kunstmann brewery, decent restaurants. According to Google Maps, Ancud is about the same time-wise as Valdivia, I would probably pick the latter.