FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta SkyClub Access Changes starting Jan 1, 2019
Old Jan 25, 2018, 11:05 am
jamesteroh
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Horizons

Not correct. I sometimes use Sky Clubs when flying another airline, or even when coming to the airport for a meeting, and the lounge staff have regularly gone out of their way to emphasize that this is permissible with a paid membership. In fact, I’m in the ORD Sky Club right now even though I flew in on United (on a nonstop route that Delta does not fly — though I did fly DL transcon yesterday). I always point out when I’m not on Delta, and the lounge checkers are unfailingly polite in telling me that I’m warmly welcome with my lifetime Sky Club card.

Today the receptionist explained that one year from now the Sky Club policy will change, and anyone using the club must have a same-day Delta (or SkyTeam, presumably) boarding pass. This does seem to violate the contract I have with them; I paid to be a Club member, not an “occasionally when it suits Delta” club member. I dropped some serious cash to buy this access.
I've used the BNA skyclub a couple times in the past year when flying on Southwest with no issues. A friend of mine that flies united sometimes from Chicago has had no issues using the Skyclub there so not sure why people are saying it's been a policy for a while unless they are trying to gain entrance through an Am Ex swipe. I was at ORD last year and was behind a DYKWIA type who was flying united and his flight was really delayed and was upset that the ORD skyclub wouldn't allow him entrance with his Am Ex card on a United boarding pass which I think is a fair policy.

If someone has a lifetime membership they should honor the original T&C of the agreement. But I wouldn't be surprised if Delta doesn't. I signed up for a three year membership back when I was PM and was told that if I made diamond during that period the remaining portion of the membership would be tacked on after I lost the diamond status. Delta changed their policy on that so I spent money on a three year membership that only gave me six months of benefits