FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sheraton Los Angeles San Gabriel [Master Thread]
Old Jan 24, 2018, 11:37 pm
SST

Good review above. I’m here tonight but didn’t get an upgrade—- not sure they know enough to check SPG status, and they laughed off my question about whether any suites were available..... so no Platinum recognition. Simple King Room I got was quite nice, facing outward over Valley Blvd, the place is well-soundproofed. The pics above do fair justice to the build quality. Nice friendly staff. No bathtub here, shower only.

i saw the robot wandering. Quite a gimmick, enjoyed seeing it go back to its dock, like a Roomba. Big, open high-ceilinged lobby and grand car entrance. Good computer hardware to use in the lobby, both Windows and Apple. The club lounge on 6 is nice, good espresso machine, nicely furnished. Nice contemporary pool. At night, the lighting is very well done.

The neighborhood of course has zillions of asian restaurants, way too many to pick at random. Be sure to do a little research. About 12 minutes to Pasadena, for more upscale fare. I’d be more than interested to hear other FT’ers Asian recommendations nearby.

I got street parking— free/convenient since I have to be out first thing for work.

The room has has a nice marble bathroom; excellent water pressure in the shower. Large wardrobe with a small ironing board that was perfectly adequate. Decent lighting, bedside controls. A roomy feel, one couch, one chair, both new and tasteful, reasonably comfy for sitting watching the 48” flat panel tv, which has Hulu, Netflix, CNBC, CNN and dozens more, all apparently in HD (about time, Starwood). Finally, TV as good as we have at home. Excellent climate control, effective and quiet. Adequate desk, adequate power outlets, decent internet speed for my use.

The staff said the Starbucks will open in a few weeks, March or April. Szechuan restaurant will also open soon. The bar opens tomorrow evening. Wine list by the glass pretty decent, not particularly pricey (especially as a contrast to the Westin Pasadena, where I spend much more for a glass of Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc than it costs for a bottle at Costco. Last time I think the larger glass was $22+). Six beers on tap seemed pretty decent, reasonably priced.

This is probably NOT a good family destination because of the business nature of the hotel decor, the limited shopping and attractions nearby, and a spartan pool, but for a business traveler it seems like it will fit in for my regular round-robin of SPG LA destinations, especially if I want authentic Asian food for dinner. I’d say it fits in my picture like staying in Flushing, Queens, when on a trip to NYC. New hotel: reasonably priced, pleasant surroundings, good work, Starwood. .