FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Shhh, Don't Tell Mamma: Mogadishu to Mecca, with a taste of Djibouti
Old Jan 24, 2018, 2:28 pm
rivlinm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, FM Prem, SPG gold
Kwi>ist>jib>mgq

Exit immigration was a breeze and after three passport checks I was airside. I opted to visit the Kuwait Air lounge which had great service, food and above all, a place to sit. When I left the lounge I discovered every gate is segmented into a pen with the only terminal seating inside. Flights don’t open the pen until just moments before boarding so the hallways are clogged with passengers.

Without lounge access, KWI is not a pleasant airport

Elegant display

Starving, I was happy to eat anything, but the food was actually quite enjoyable

Overall, a quality lounge

Outside the lounge, not so much. Next to no seating

Today’s chariot

We eventually boarded and I was seated beside a young child with two parents, aka four humans and three seats. Fortunately a two seat exit row was open so I snagged that and spread out. In typical Turkish fashion, the crew asked a passenger to leave his shoes on during take off (stated it is the rule), I was asked to remove my headphones and phone from the usb outlet during takeoff, but a toddler was permitted to sit in the exit row. The Turkish DO&CO meal was leaps and bounds above most airline economy catering but left a bit to be desired for Turkish. The flight flew by and before I knew it we were landing in Istanbul.

I will sorely miss DO&CO

On the ground I headed to the primeclass lounge in search of a shower but was informed the airport was out of towels and hot water. Good grief. I mostly just sat around the busy lounge until it was time to board and made the short walk toward the gate bound for Mogadishu. Visas were checked for those continuing beyond Djibouti and boarding was a bit chaotic as I braced for the next eight hours of airtime.

Lounges not affiliated with TK are severely lacking in Istanbul, it feels like just a home for over entitled credit card holders

It’s happening!

Once airborne I fled the confined sauna and claimed 8D with an open middle. Three strangers in 7C, 7D and 8C were loud as could be the entire flight even after repetitive pleas from the crew. Meals were served in a mildly barbaric fashion and with about three hours remaining I was able to doze off.

Great selection of IFE

Even better meal, but maybe a larger portion would have been nice – Didn’t notice if they serve alcohol on this route for those interested

We landed at Djibouti as the sun was rising and I’d say 80% of the passengers deplaned while they still could! Time on the ground was a bit over an hour and they haphazardly had each passenger point out their cabin baggage. We took on maybe five additional passengers for Mogadishu and began our pushback at 6:40. A sandwich or cake was on offer soon after takeoff and I enjoyed the rest of the flight in lieflat Y.

AF Cargo while on the ground in Djibouti

Quick snack on the two hour flight to Mogadishu

Turning to land on Runway 05 (23 is overland and never used to reduce the risk of anti-aircraft fire)

Jazeera Beach on approach

Southern outskirts of Mogadishu

Hull just outside the MGQ complex from US military contractor Bancroft’s Dornier 328JET that crash landed in May 2017

Welcome to Aden Adde Airport, named after Somalia’s first President