FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United's HUB non-stop pricing extremely high
Old Jan 24, 2018, 7:59 am
narvik

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
United's HUB non-stop pricing extremely high

I understand the UA pricing algorithms....let me re-phrase that: I understand that no one understands the UA pricing algorithms, but this is getting rather absurd!

It pays to be creative in searching for flights with UA when HUB bound. Let me explain: my home airport is EWR, although I have a two hour drive to the airport.

Was looking for my usual EWR-PEK RT flight. For March. UA's non-stop J fare is: $5446 (P fare). Yet, doing AVP-EWR-PEK RT drops it to less than 50% of that: $2604 (P fare for EWR-PEK).

These days I also search all the small airports in driving distance, and apparently this can save considerably on cost, albeit somewhat inconvenient at times.
Taking a car or bus to other airports to get to UA's hub on a RJ145 or train can save thousands.

I know, I know, nothing new to most here, but I am finding this is getting more and more extreme recently. Or, maybe, I am just getting more and more cheap - who knows?

In this case it really works out well, as I live closer to AVP than EWR. Not complaining....well, except the 5 hour layover at EWR!