FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sheraton Los Angeles San Gabriel [Master Thread]
Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:06 pm
itsaboutthejourney
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Quick visit during the first week they were open

I did a quick visit this weekend, they had been open for 6 days:

They did a beautiful job with the design and construction; it seems very few expenses were spared. This did not feel like a Sheraton in terms of a design that I'd call post-post Modern Art Deco. I didn't get photos of the lobby, which had expansive seating areas and beautiful glass bulbs over the check-in area.

The hotel is also larger than I expected, perhaps I'm missing something with the area and how much it can support a 4 start hotel?

The Club Lounge is very nice, mixed seating of couches, tables/chairs as well as a conference room. Again, very nice decor, with a lot of attention to detail such as knick-knacks on shelves, decorative pillows, etc. It's open 24/7 for access to coffee, tea and soda/waters from the fridge. They have a multi-function coffee/espresso machine that already seems to be problematic. I really wish Sheraton would step up and partner with a reliable maker of these machines and push that to all of their lounges; the inconsistency is frustrating. I'd call the spread for breakfast a little above average compared to most domestic Sheratons, certinally enough for a breakfast but nothing to go out of your way for. There were of course opening pains: sugar was on order and the agent was a little overwhelmed with restocking the buffet vs cleaning up tables. At times the fridge was empty; no water or soda.

The agent who checked me in originally assigned me a Club Level room; despite what i'd guess was less than 20% occupancy at the hotel. She said many suites were still being set-up by housekeeping, but when I pointed out that spg.com was selling 4 kinds of suites (1 bedroom, Executive, Club Level, and Corner) she quickly found one. (the website says they have 17 suites). That suite (658) was an interior facing suite and I quickly found out that the bedroom's curtain covered a... wall. No window. The same agent was nice enough to have the bellman show me another option, a corner suite, that was lovely in terms of the view and layout. That corner suite had an unfinished soundsystem half out of the box, and a few other boxes in it, but I didn't mind.

What I did mind was that internet didn't let me log into the premium version, only the slower free version. They acknowledged there were issues with that when I checked out.

Self parking is $15, they also have a very large valet area. Currently, there is no gate for the garage nor have signs been put up that are supposed to say self-parking is on the P2 level. I do appreciate that the elevators for the parking garage are the same for the guest rooms.

The steakhouse is open, a Chinese restaurant and Starbucks will open soon.

This hotel will clearly have a large amount of events. Those spaces looked very nice, and access designed to minimize impeeding on regular guests (ie glass doors between the lobby and the foyer to the ballrooms).

Despite the expected opening glitches, I think this is a beautiful property and hope this is the new (much higher) standard for Sheraton going forward.

This is not a window!

only 1/2 full

Language appropriate for the area

Suite living room

6th floor map

Robot in the lobby to direct you/walk you to your destination within the hotel. I believe Marriott has something similar.

nice amenities

unfinished set-up

This machine in the Club Lounge is already problematic

nice tub in the suite