FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Upgrading a flight with a coupon that is about to expire
Old Jan 23, 2018, 4:26 am
HEhatesusall

Programs: A3 gold, BA silver, IHG platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Arrivals
So far we know that you can use a coupon for a flight that will take place after the coupon expires. Recently Aegean has waitlisted a lot of us. Now, what happens if you ask for an upgrade (coupon!) for a flight after the expiration of the coupon?

Example: Coupon expires 24 November. Flight is scheduled for 2 January. Upgrade is requested on 1 November.

Has anyone had a recent experience?
Had the same problem this year. Over the phone the A3 agent told me:
1) Obviously, if the upgrade is cleared before the coupon expiry, they will use the coupon
2) If the upgrade isn't cleared, you need to call to get a new coupon linked in case the upgrade clears a few days before departure(although the poster above seems to imply that A3 does this automatically)

In my case, the upgrade didn't clear, but I didn't bother updating my coupon to score an upgrade from my pre-christmas flight. However, we got an op-up to C class at the gate along with 2 other pax that seemed to be on the same situation as me(A3 golds whose upgrades hadn't cleared).
None of my coupons were used, and I even got C-class miles for my trip