FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chase closed my credit card account(s) [Archived 2013-mid 2019]
Old Jan 22, 2018, 9:27 am
Happy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by incaroads
Thanks to all for the DPs and info in this thread. I'm hoping to apply for the CIP this year (paper app method) and would love to hear any feedback on my shutdown risk (to the extent that the risk can even be assessed). Factors:

- I have a Chase business checking account, opened 6 months ago
- I have 1 Chase biz card already (Ink Cash, opened 3 years ago) and 4 personal cards (CSR, IHG, Hyatt, and Freedom, all opened in 2015/2016)
- I come close to maxing out 5x on the Ink Cash and I take advantage of promos here and there, but no heavy MS
- Currently over 20/24 and opening about one new account per month (mainly Citi AA).

I've heard about shutdown being triggered by new Hyatt and IHG cards, but haven't seen any DPs concerning business cards. Thoughts?
Maxing out Ink Cash is not a risk factor. There is a reason such bonus category is capped. Chase would not bother you as long as you pass the far more important risk factors, one of them is to rapidly applying new credit in short period of time. (Fits your profile with the Citi cards).

It has nothing to do with Hyatt and IHG cards other than these 2 cards do not subj to 5/24. People who are over 5/24 and then went hoggish on other banks cards, to the point of becoming lol/24, (like in your case) and then applied these 2 most easy to get approved cards from Chase - when Chase does an account review which is very regularly these days, they see how many new cards have been opened in a short span and account shut down followed.

With your 20/24 even your Chase apps were all in 2015/2016, chances are even if you have a branch preapproval your application might not work. Or worse, you then draw scrutiny on your new card application history, then the axe falls.

Enjoy your Citi gravy train until it ends then give a good 9 to 12 months rest before attempting ANY Chase card would be a prudent approach.