FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flat Tyre Rule | Cut Off For Meal Loading | Missed Flight
Old Jan 22, 2018, 8:35 am
cgtechuk

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
*Updated * Flat Tyre Rule | Cut Off For Meal Loading | Missed Flight

Before I begin this is not a BA bashing just looking for some clarificiation

As some may remember I posted last week about collecting some computer equipment from London and transporting home in my suitcase:

Checking in an item that isn't a suitcase

Anyway Sunday was the day I ended up going down and through no fault of BA's I ended up having a mare of a time in London and it was quickly becoming obvious that I was going to miss my 5pm flight home due to traffic and issues with the hire car. What happened next was that I was basically told tough you missed the flight you need to book another ticket, So I went into the app and frantically booked a new ticket for the last flight home but it only had Club Europe left but I booked it as I needed to be home.

What then happened was at the airport once I checked in for my new flight I sat in the lounge to see that the original flight I was supposed to be on was in fact showing delayed by 40 minutes from the time I was in the lounge. So in theory I could have made that flight., Then to add insult to injury I was told on the flight that they had no meal loaded for me as I had booked my ticket after the cut off for catering so wasn't being fed, I had eaten in the lounge already so that was fine but I was a bit miffed that the cut off on an exLHR flight would have been so short.

Anyway onto my questions:

Is the flat tyre rule a guarantee ? e.g should I have been offered to change the flight if I could prove why I couldn't get to the airport in time or is it a goodwill / unwritten type rule? Also guessing that regardless of how delayed the flight was I missed the original time so was offloaded?

Regarding the meal is this something I can be recompensed for ? To be fair I am not bothered about not getting fed as they got me home in the end but recovering some of the avios would be nice

Last edited by cgtechuk; Jan 26, 2018 at 3:22 pm Reason: update