FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BR7 and 8 (TPE/SFO): EVA flight attendants demand proper rest time in sit-in protest
Old Jan 21, 2018, 10:58 pm
hayzel7773

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by sfo3388
I don't understand the need of overnight in Tokyo and Beijing.

I read the news. FAs complain that they can't sleep during the day and often get sick. "Can't sleep during the day" does not seem to be a good reason.
​​​​​A new chart posted by EVA Air discussing the duty time for each turnaround and the number of flights deemed illegal by MOL in addition to the reasons. Since it is in Chinese, I have translated it.

1. TPE-PEK Duty time* is 10hrs35-10hr45min(depending on the day's schedule)
# of times operated in 2017: 365
# of times they went over the limit: 20
% of flights over limit: 5.48%
Reasons were: Airport Traffic Flow Control, Military airspace control, Weather
2. TPE-NRT: 11hr5min-11hr10min Duty Time*
# of times operated in '17: 725
# of times they went over the limit: 17
% of flights over the limit: 2.34%
Reasons: Airport Traffic Flow Control, Bad Weather
3. KHH-NRT: 10hr45min Duty Time*
# of times operated in '17: 363
# of times they went over the limit: 3
% of flights over the limit: 0.83%
Reasons: Bad weather and medical emergency
4. TSA-HND Duty time* 9hrs30min.
# of times operated in '17: 364
# of times they went over the limit: 1
% of flights over the limit: 0.27%
Reason: Aircraft went MX

*Duty time includes the flight time, the turnaround time, and the 2 hours prior to departure.

EVA is also revising the promise to add staff to flights. They will only add people when necessary(prior to this, they said they would add one for every flight for SFO) and if load factors for that day are below 70%, they will take one flight attendant out. If loads are below 50%, they will take out two.

In addition, BNE is already a 4-6 day trip because of reduced frequency. They are reversing the decision to cut service and will maintain the current service procedures(probably retaliatory).
SFO: 3-day SFO trips will only occur 52 times this year(every Sunday departure from TPE). That means that of the 4600 FAs, each one will only work it once every 6 months(this includes reserve). The company also pointed out that fellow carrier CX(whom TFAU said had better working conditions and got their union to support this cause) also does 3-day turns for their HKG-SFO flights. In fact, their outstation rest time is actually a little shorter than EVAs.

TFAU now demands management come negotiate with them at Evergreen Marine in front of the FAs. However, with the history of TFAU and the often violent protests(or riots) they have(chucking stacks of paper at managers, egging the company, defaming their own companies uniform, blocking managers from leaving etc.) I highly doubt any manager in their right mind will come out to negotiate.

It seems management may be hitting that breaking point.

Last edited by hayzel7773; Jan 21, 2018 at 11:32 pm