FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BR7 and 8 (TPE/SFO): EVA flight attendants demand proper rest time in sit-in protest
Old Jan 21, 2018, 10:34 pm
hayzel7773

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by sfo3388
I don't understand the need of overnight in Tokyo and Beijing.

I read the news. FAs complain that they can't sleep during the day and often get sick. "Can't sleep during the day" does not seem to be a good reason.
According to their Article 84-1 agreement, crew are allowed 12 hours straight on duty(excluding any time spent in crew rest areas). Keep in mind EVA Air flight attendants must report two hours before departure at the company, meaning that they must leave Taipei 3 hours prior(2.5 for TSA flights). A roundtrip to Tokyo is around 7hr 5min block time(3 hours there, 4 hours 5min back) hours long, with the 2 hours before the flight(only two before is considered on-duty) is 9.05, the layover of 2 hours and 5min in Tokyo makes it 11hours 10-15min. That leaves BR 50 min grace before the turn is considered illegal in terms of labor laws(still legal under AOR). They absolutely hate working these flights(highest # of absences) and find it especially tiring because pax on these routes are demanding.

If you look at the protest, you will notice the 2nd NRT and HND flights are not included. 2nd HND is already overnight and I guess 2nd NRT was not as tiring(weird).

As for PEK, the often long delays lead to very very long taxi and flight times or hold times. In fact, EVA holds a significant amount of extra fuel just for these instances. Last year, 5.48%(or 20) flights of the 365 days were over the 12 hour limit. That is a lot.