FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A trip of a life time spoilt in part
View Single Post
Old Jan 20, 2018, 3:14 pm
beachfan

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by swag
The crowd here can be pretty rough. They're right in that the AA systems don't allow much leeway for checking bags beyond the cutoff, and ultimately, it's your responsibility to ensure that you have sufficient time to meet the deadline.

But if I'm reading this correctly, you arrived at the check in area 10-15 minutes prior to the deadline, and despite a lack of lines when you arrived, you still weren't able to get the bags checked in time. If so, I understand your frustration.

I'd keep your complaint focused on those facts: You arrived in time, but had trouble with the machines, and the staff was initially unwilling to assist, until later when it was too late. Give exact and correct time of events if you know them.

The rest of it - the rudeness, the lack of clarity about standby, the paging system - it's maddening, but not something AA will compensate for. Missing the initial flight should be your focus. I doubt you'll get the refund you want, but may get a voucher or some customer service miles as an apology. Good luck.
Good advice, although I would work in the "rudeness", but without elaboration and using only a couple of words. Such as "I asked for help multiple times but was rudely told....". It's not completely irrelevant, although you don't get extra compensation for it.