FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Schengen Transit Visa Mistake. What should I do?
Old Jan 20, 2018, 12:06 pm
chermorg
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Would that hold with the MUN-FRA flight? No longer sterile Schengen transit area.
I don't think it would (i.e. it wouldn't) - but I'm also confused on the wording here - a "Schengen transit area" is a bit of an oxymoron - the transit area of an EU airport is by definition not part of the Schengen zone - hence why transit visas are acceptable to transit that area. An airport transit visa is acceptable for this purpose - and appears to be what the other poster is referring to. A Schengen transit visa, OTOH, is more stringent, has fewer exceptions, and is more permissive - it allows someone to fully enter the Schengen zone for a limited time for the purpose of transiting multiple airports, cities, modes of transportation, etc - with the end goal to leave the Schengen zone from a different port of entry/exit from the one they entered in originally. It is this Schengen transit visa that is required for the OP's situation - not the airport transit visa which they would have been exempt from even if needed. The difference between the two is the right to enter the country/Schengen zone - which is effectively what the OP wants to do.

TLDR: "Schengen transit area" is a bit of a misnomer - as the OP was not looking to transit the Schengen area, but instead was looking to transit within the country of Germany by entering the country, proceeding on a Schengen area/domestic flight, and then leaving via a different airport than the one entered at. This by necessity requires the ability to enter the country of Germany, and by effect the Schengen zone.