FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Waived AA Change Fees for Amex Card members booking F80O fare via AMEX
Old Jan 19, 2018, 6:38 pm
samm

Programs: AA EP
Waived AA Change Fees for Amex Card members booking F80O fare via AMEX

Bryan Kelly posted today about why he likes his Business Centurion card and stated that his AA change fees are always waived for revenue tickets. This is news to me.

My interpretation is that he is suggesting that booking revenue tickets through an Amex Travel Counselor (not the online portal but calling) will allow you to book a standard (not Y) economy ticket at the normal price, and then you call Amex and they will make changes with no $200 penalty. A lot (platinum, etc) of Amex cards have access to Amex Travel, and the only Business Centurion difference is the waived $39 booking fee. I don't have a biz centurion but I would gladly pay $39 every single ticket if it meant they were equivalent to Y tickets at the same price as the cheapest ticket.

Of course, neither Amex nor AA has any idea what he is talking about when I asked them about this. His blog posted about a partnership a long time ago but I thought the general consensus was the discounts Amex offered were minimal and inconsistent. His wording today implies it is a hard and fast, written concrete rule that Amex travel is exempt from AA change fees. I asked him for more details in the comments and he moderated my comment out and just replied with the same link I already had. I don't think he's lying but I also have no idea how he's getting his change fees waived every time? Am I missing something?