FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ: What's a Systemwide Upgrade / SWU / VIP and how to use? (Master thread)
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:21 am
airmarc

Programs: AA EX PLAT
Originally Posted by flyingeph12

I believe it. I just didn’t think it would be this soon. Moreover, the miles + copay chart still shows the first level of upgrade being business class (with no option for main cabin to premium economy). So at least with miles + copay, it appears one can still go from economy to business. Given both mileage and SWU upgrades come out of C space, this leads me to believe the agent in your case may have been acting prematurely.

However, at the rate PE is being rolled out, I think premium economy being added as a level between economy and business will happen soon. I guess I better start thinking about using my SWUs for this year.
Here it is from aa.com:

"AAdvantage awards and upgrades into Premium Economy aren’t available now, but will be at a later date".

"FOR NOW, you can upgrade from Main Cabin or Premium Economy to First or Business using your AAdvantage miles or systemwide upgrades. For flights to / from Hawaii, Executive Platinum and Platinum Pro members receive complimentary upgrades if seats are available. Platinum and Gold members can use 500-mile upgrades".

Soo, my suspicion is that SWU's will soon upgrade only into the "next" class of service.