FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ : Status of on-board WiFi rollout on BA aircraft
Old Jan 18, 2018, 3:45 am
corporate-wage-slave
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Trade has released a PDF with Q and A on the new system. Contents below.

Which devices can I use to access Wi-Fi on board?
Wi-Fi enabled devices running Chrome, Safari, IE11 and Edge internet browsers can be connected to the Wi-Fi network on board. If you do not have one of these browsers, or are running an older version of the above, you may still be able to connect however certain features may not work. Please disable any privacy mode on your browser (ie ‘Private browsing’ mode on Safari, or ‘Incognito browsing’ on Chrome).

What can I use .air Wi-Fi for?
You can view British Airways flight information and access the internet in the same way that you would do from a hotel, coffee shop or any other Wi-Fi zone. Two packages are available onboard (with varying time options), allowing you to browse the web and stream content from providers such as Netflix.

When can I access the internet?
The service will be activated at a height of around 10,000 feet or around 10 minutes after take-off. The service is then available until shortly before landing.

Will the system be available on all British Airways flights?
Wi-Fi is gradually being rolled out across all British Airways aircraft and is currently available on selected flights only. Aircraft are subject to change from the initial test flights carried out in summer 2017. By 2019 we expect to have 90% of our aircraft connected. While we roll out Wi-Fi, customers will only be notified once on board a connected flight.

How do I get back to the .air homepage if I’ve navigated away from it?
Once you’ve purchased Wi-Fi, it helps to open a new tab in your browser to access other sites. If not please enter shop.ba.com into your browser URL and you’ll be taken back to the homepage.

Do I need to have an account to access the internet?
You will need to register for a .air account or sign into your existing .air account before you can purchase internet access.

Why do I need to create a .air account?
Creating an account with .air will not only ensure all receipts are sent to correct email addresses, but will also allow you to store payment cards to your account which will allow for a faster purchase of services onboard.

I can’t remember my password – how do I recover my account?
On our ‘Sign in’ page, please click the ‘Forgot Password’ link and follow the steps to reset your password and access your account.

Will I be sent a receipt for my onboard purchases through the .air portal?
Yes. Receipts for purchases made through .air will be sent up to 24 hours after your flight has landed. This will be sent to the email address provided when you set up your account.

Is it possible to make and receive texts or phone calls either through my GSM network or VoIP services?
As there is no hardware to support GSM services onboard you will not be able to make a phone call through your network provider. For privacy protection, VoIP calls through services such as Skype, FaceTime and WhatsApp will also be unavailable. We ask you to please turn your phone to vibrate or silent mode to respect other customers.

How much bandwidth is available to my device on this aircraft?
The available bandwidth is shared by all .air users on board, which means that the actual speed depends on the number of users at any given time, as is the case with common ground hotspots. On the ‘Browse’ package we endeavor to provide an experience of no less than approximately 250Kbps, which will be suitable for browsing the web, checking emails etc. On the ‘Stream’ package we provide an experience of no less than approximately 1Mbps. This will allow you to stream content from services such as Netflix.

Is it possible to switch between devices (e.g. from laptop to smartphone) using the same purchased session?
Your internet session is linked to the device you purchased it on and will not be transferrable. Please be mindful of your planned internet usage when selecting a WiFi package.

Why is my connection being interrupted or disabled?
While most of the world has Wi-Fi coverage in the air, there are a few limitations. This may happen during the course of the flight and can be due to a variety of reasons. Reasons include satellite handovers, which is when you move from one satellite cell to another or when the aircraft travels outside of the coverage area or over a restricted zone, such as Indian airspace or when the aircraft travels over a large expanse of water in Europe. During this period you may temporarily lose connectivity. However, it will resume after approximately 2-3 minutes. The .air homepage will let you know when you are not connected.

Does the Internet provide a secure connection?
Your connection on board is as safe as connecting to the internet via any other public Wi-Fi service on the ground. Connections to a secure website (ie HTTPS) or a Virtual Private Network (VPN) will remain secure, maintaining the encryption provided by the host.

Who can help me with billing enquiries?
Please email our customer care team at [email protected] for any billing enquiries or refunds.

What are the rates for internet access?
You will have a choice of two packages. Browse supports web browsing, email, instant messaging and social media excluding video, whereas our Stream package provides a faster connection so that you can stream music or films. Prices are available via the .air homepage.

Is it safe to operate Wi-Fi on an aircraft?
Yes. It is safe to operate Wi-Fi on an aircraft. Before Wi-Fi services are put into operation on an aircraft, all relevant aspects are fully tested and safety certified by the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA).

Under what SSID is the WLAN network provided?
The SSID is called “BAWi-Fi”. It is a publicly broadcasted Wi-Fi network.

When will I hear back from the .air customer care team regarding my query or issue?
The .air customer care team is available Monday to Friday during business hours. We aim to resolve your query/issue as fast as possible, however please allow up to 72hrs to receive a reply from one of our team members on the above.