FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dining [recommendations in Colombia]
View Single Post
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:36 am
JohnnyColombia
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
This thread is suddenly coming to life!

I will be in Bogotá for 3 days before joining an organized tour of Colombia. I’ll be staying at the NH Hotel Bogotá Andino Royal and as a solo female traveller with very basic Spanish I am looking for nearby restaurants where I can feel safe and not out of place in the evening. I was going to stay at the Embassy Suites but a friend has persuaded me the NH Andino Royal is in a better location. I hope he is right.
Hi NewbieRunner, You expertly and graciously showed me around Shinjuku, so in Bogotá you are not a solo female traveller, you get to hang out with me. At least a little bit, I insist.

NH Andino Royal and Embassy Suites are both great locations. the NH is stuck on the end of Retiro Mall and opposite Andino Mall. The top floor of Andino Mall has some nice looking restaurants rather than just being a food court (It's a food court too) Things seem to come and go somewhat quickly, I went to a new place called Cossette last week, whether or not it will still be there when you come is anyone's guess.

Also on top of NH Andino Royal is Andres Carne de Res DC, I despise that place and urge you to not do the touristy thing and go there. There is a passage next to Andino Mall which is home to a place called Il Pomeriggio. Does a nice slice of cake and good coffee on the patio. It's where wealthy shoppers hang out to take a break from spending.

I cannot think of anywhere near Andino that I would go out of my way to visit, La Cabrera bar in the Zona T is probably the nicest place that's within 5 mins of your hotel. However there are some interesting places emerging on Carrera 9 2 blocks to the east.

La Milagrosa: a tiny bar with craft beers
Ugly American: An upmarket American theme place with a long bar and chunky whisky tumblers. I frequently pop in there.
San Giorgio: A nice Italian place, I tend to not eat Italian food but it has great ice cream
Spig: A place that only seems to sell bacon. As I say, things pop up and vanish again and I have not been to Spig yet, it only opened last month
Relais de l'entrecote: A massive new place that appears to sell steaks, it only opened Monday, I definitely have not been yet
El Bandido: That's another 2 blocks away and a stellar bistro with live music, great food and a good crowd

NH Andino Royal is only 15 mins walking from Black Bear that I mentioned in my previous post, it's worth the walk.

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
At the end of a 12 day tour I’m spending an extra day/night at Hotel Quadrifolio in Cartagena (following recommendations in this forum ). The hotel’s website mentions a restaurant which is “exclusively for our guests”. Has anybody eaten there and is it worth it assuming the restaurant price matches the hotel price.
Quadrifolio is spectacular hotel and worth the money that you will have splurged on this. I have not had dinner there but I imagine it lacks ambience a bit. Quadrifolio is like having your own beautiful house with staff, I'd guess that eating there is special if you are a couple but might be dull if you are on your own. Worth the walk to San Diego for al fresco eats I'd say. Quadrifolio is in a street which unusually has nothing else in it, it's quiet, no eats and drinks to be found. The hotel is opposite some sort of maritime union and there was a strike on last time I was there, were it not for the striking workers the street would have been dead.