FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Making the most of SAS EB Amex 50% and Mastercard Premium discounts
Old Jan 17, 2018, 5:51 am
Daner

Programs: EuroBonus Diamond
I fully understand the argument for doing that when and if one has the points, but we don't yet have them.

When it comes down to it, I would rather use 240k points on a 2-4-1 in J from ARN to AKL plus a RT in Y from ARN to SFO. Pretty sure that my wife feels the same way. When given the choice between a slightly fancier rock on her wedding ring or a new pair of alpine skis, she chose the skis. That was 27 years ago, and we are still together. YMMV

Originally Posted by meanie.me
I think, if you have enough points to enjoy first class, especially on such longhaul destination as NZ, it is better to redeem for F, rather than J and save some points.
Using Amex -2-4-1 you have many options of enjoing really great experience.

To name a few, Lufthansa/ASIANA first to Seoul, Seoul to Bangkok. Bangkok to NZ (not sure anything flies to NZ from Korea)
ANA from London or FRA to Tokyo and further to Singapore or Bangkok and further to NZ.

Business class is definitely better than economy, but first is another universe I would try to maximize and have potentially 4 first class legs (Europe to Central Asia to South Asia)