FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Polynesia Part II: Easter Island & Mexico City via LATAM Business & Alaska First
Old Jan 16, 2018, 7:42 pm
worldtraveller73

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Hanga Roa
Easter Island
Day of Arrival

As the thundershower clouds lifted, we later attended up to reception and met her husband Bill. He was very pleasant and offered to give us a lift around town and a brief tour. Seeking adventure, we declined and set out walking on our own.

We walked from the hotel down Ave Atamu Tekena towards the harbour Caleta Hanga Roa. The weather was a bit stormy but it came in waves and would clear up in about 10 minutes after the showers passed. The roads in town are all cobblestoned, which made for an interesting sound as the cars and trucks passed over them.

We were a bit snacky so we headed down to the water to seek out some food. We took in a view of the harbour, seeing our first moai that was implanted and placed against the harbour. There were a few small fishing boats and other small boats that were perhaps used for tour groups.

We arrived to Pea; a small place on the shoreline. We enjoyed the first of many Pisco Sours’ and a French fries snack on an open air patio. It was a beautiful view and to our surprise, there were several (3+) turtles swimming in the bay that could be seen from the deck. This was pretty odd, and even in Hawaii, we usually only see turtles near the beach - not near structures where people frequent.

The weather turned quickly and the thundershowers that we had quickly evaporated, fading away to bright sunshine amid dreamy clouds. After our snack, we headed northwards on foot towards the site of Ahu Tahni. We past our first moai at Ahu Tautira; two lonely moai overlooking what is now a soccer field. We passed through some jagged coast line which would become really familiar throughout our time on the island.

On our walk up, we found a nice sheltered bay for swimming. We would later come back here during the trip to spend the day in the sun. We also found a few moai; including one of the few on the island with a topknot that actually had eyes on them. These moai are absolutely massive for the most part and are simply stunning the first time that you see them.

We continued on the shoreline walk and spent some time in the afternoon at the awesome Ahu Tahni. It’s a large area shaped in a bowl that has moai with the ocean in the background. It is beautiful sight with moai overlooking the ocean. This was the area to come for sunsets, as we did twice on this trip. This site became one of my favourite places to visit on the trip, in part thanks to the awesome views at sunset, but also because it was so easily accessible from our hotel in Hanga Roa.

We walked back towards the Taura’a hotel and passed by the Hanga Roa graveyard, one of the few on the island.

For some strange reason which I couldn’t figure out, while on the island, my iPhone continuously showed as being two hours ahead. My phone believed that it was 6:04 PM, when it was actually 4:04 PM. This happened to both our iPhones on this trip. I've never had this happen before internationally, so if anyone had the same thing happen to them, I'd love to know why!

We were feeling hungry by this point, and ended up walking back towards Hana Hoku, an outdoor patio restaurant that was highly recommended by Lonely Planet. It had a charming but rustic feel to it, with fresh ocean breezes.

I enjoyed some tuna, which was the food staple of our trip. We were able to get some reasonably priced Castilero del Diablo Carmeniere. I was expecting over the top wine prices, but it was pretty reasonable considering the distances that it had traveled. I suspect that the transport costs were subsidized by the government.

We closed with a beautiful but still sunset outside of the restaurant overlooking the harbour.

We headed back to the Taura'a hotel with Catholic Church bells in the background ringing at 7 PM. Wow - what a surreal experience to be all the way out here surrounded by turtles, tuna and moai!