FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Aeroplan's Best Kept Secret: award flights into Iqaluit
Old Jan 15, 2018, 10:16 pm
heraclitus

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by eigenvector
Thanks OP for bringing this topic up.

I've been to Qikiqtarjuaq (YVM) on points to hike in Auyuittuq National Park. Managed to get a group of four up there, all on awards, by staggering our arrivals a bit (and using both carriers - 7F and 5T).

I can recommend Qik, Pangnirtung and Pond Inlet all as destinations that would be nice for a casual visitor who isn't necessarily going to do "serious" outdoor stuff like backpacking, overnight kayaking or mountaineering. There's basic tourist facilities (hostel-ish place for $250 or so per night, but many northern communities have nothing), tour operators who can take you out in a boat for the day to see the scenery and a beautiful natural setting.

Pond Inlet is also a nice destination for those who want to get as far north as possible but still actually have something to see/do when they get there.
Churchill obviously isn't as far north as those places but it's quite well equipped in terms of tourist infrastructure with tours, accommodations and restaurants all available. I've heard that circumstances are a bit tougher now that rail service is suspended, but certainly when the trains were running it was an easy place to spend a few days and not run out of things to do.