FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Awards Fails Frequent Flyers
Old Jan 15, 2018, 4:25 pm
tusphotog

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by jinglish
I share your sentiment, and I think most would, but you'd be surprised by what some FTers will do for extra miles.
Nothing surprises me on FT anymore.

Originally Posted by channa
Why would it be necessary to connect on these routes? AS serves both of those nonstop.

The question is what markets does AS either not serve that would make the AS program not viable for a SFOer, and/or, what markets does AS serve that are not practical for SFO origins?
Well, my comment was directed at Yellowjj who said AS MP is a "viable option" for people in SFO needing to hit major cities and willing to connect in SEA/PDX. I just cherrypicked a few routes, but your comment about the frequency issue is the issue. Alaska works great if you're going when the flights are leaving from SFO. But if you need to fly SFO-ORD before 8a, you're SOL. If you need to leave MSP after 4p, you're on Delta or Sun Country.

As for AS being a viable program, it really depends on the routes. If you're in the SD-LA-SF-PDX-SEA-Alaska/Hawaii corridor frequently; they're pretty good. Going east of SF or LA? They're worthless if you need flexibility.

My only hope for management to wake up and sense the displeasure from the passengers is for them to lose that JD Power award this year. If Delta wins it, you can bet the folks at Angle Lake will (hopefully?) wake up.