FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Israeli credit card with real travel insurance?
Old Jan 15, 2018, 10:27 am
hnussbacher

Programs: Elal Silver, AirCanada Aeroplan, AA AAdvantage, KLM Flying Blue, Continental OnePass, Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by joshwex90
I have never heard of an Israeli-based travel insurance (including, but not limited to, Phoenix (which covers Passportcard), Harel, Clal, Shirbit, AIG, and Migdal) who make you pay out the expenses in advance for a hospital. They all tell you to call them (they have a toll-free 24/7 phone number, some have other options as well such Skype for Phoenix) and they will arrange for advance payment. Hospitals generally don't even take payment on site; as it is, it takes time, at which point, you may be back in Israel. The insurance company takes care of direct payment to the hospital.
I have written proof that Shirbit demands that the customer pay the hospital directly. Only via complaints to the Ministry of Finance - Insurance Dept were we able to get them to partially pay the hospitals directly.
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Once back in Israel, they can't always just toss the case to kupat cholim. That's why they provide a certain level of coverage once back in Israel.
Shirbit policy states ambiguously (see clause 7.2) that they will return the patient to Israel for "continuation of service". Only once you try to claim will you find out that their interpretation is they dump you at the airport for you to fend for yourself via your kupa. I have that in writing as well as recorded.

Passportcard spells it out very clearly in section 2.5 that after they fly you back, you are on your own via your kupat cholim.

Harel states clearly in clause 3.5 of their policy that they will only cover you once back in Israel for only up to $10,000.

The information I am providing is based on actual first hand knowledge and events.