FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Oslo -- The Thief vs Hotel Christiana
View Single Post
Old Jan 14, 2018, 8:58 pm
OhDoctor

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
Originally Posted by LangenOrme
I hope I give my advice in time for your trip! I'd hope so as it's certainly more pleasant to visit our region closer to spring/summer!

Yes, Tjuvholmen and Aker Brygge is an excellent little area for foot exploration. It has nice architecture, waterfront views, lots of restaurants and a busy vibe and there are no cars there. Not to forget its Astrup Fearnley modern art museum, which you get free access to as a guest at The Thief. Distances are not very big in Oslo, so if you got a bit of oomph in you, you can easily walk to most of the central tourist destinations, even from the Thief. I'm then thinking of the Akershus fortress (the resistance museum is good), Karl Johan street and walking the roof of the Opera house as well as perhaps parts of the harbour promenade. In addition, I would also recommend checking out the Grünerløkka district ("hip") and its Mathallen (food court). This area is good for dining, shopping and if one is so inclined street art exploration. In the west end, I would visit the Frognerparken sculpture park and perhaps do a bit of foot exploration in the pretty and more affluent Frogner district.

Other recommendations:
Take the tram up the Ekeberg hill. Visit Ekebergparken sculpture park, enjoy the view and perhaps dine at Ekeberg Restaurant.
Take the ferry from Aker Brygge to Bygdøy ( very short trip), where there are a number of museums. I'd recommend the Fram Museum or the Folk museum.

Id be happy to give more detailed dining or shopping recommendations if desired!
Wow, thank you for all those wonderful recommendations. Yes, the trip is not for another several months. We'll only be in Oslo for about 36 hours, so probably not even time for everything you mention here. Which of those would you say is "can't miss"?