FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)
Old Jan 14, 2018, 2:27 pm
Youngtraveldude

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
(1) and (3) can usually be booked as 1 award with a total cost of 70K miles in business class or 110K miles in first. (2) will require two different awards: KUL-DOH will be one award costing 40K or 50K for business or first, respectively; and DOH-US will be another award costing 70K or 115K miles. In all instances, even if multiple awards are required, you can book everything in 1 PNR.

Generally, in my experience, it will not make a difference in terms of availability if you split up the legs. In my experience, I have not run into issues with married segments with the airlines that will be relevant for you. Note also that you can use multiple airlines on 1 award. For example, you could do KUL-NRT on MH, and then NRT-US on JL or AA, and pay 70K miles in business class. I think the best way to search for availability (unless you are looking for availability on AA) is to use BA's search engine and search by segment.

You can book HKG-KUL separately and pay the appropriate additional mileage (I might look into using Avios if you can instead of AA miles in this case). Or you could add the HKG-KUL segment to your existing US-HKG award and pay the $150 change fee.
Upon much more research and some modifying of plans, we've locked in the return! We were able to book HKG-KUL-LGK (spending 5 nights in Langkawi) for $115 each, so not worth using mileage, if it were available. We're then doing LGK-SIN after our time in Langkawi, a day and a half in Singapore, and then SIN-DOH-BOS in business on A350s for both legs Locked it in just now as both legs were available for 110K miles total. This all worked out super well for our trip and we're stoked to check out Qatar J on the A350. Thanks again!