FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CX Marco Polo Club vs QR Privilege Club
View Single Post
Old Jan 14, 2018, 2:09 am
Nanda Chai

Programs: Asiana/EVA/Bonvoy
Originally Posted by Wuxia
Just want to ask if those in the know how most airlines (specifically CX in my case) choose who they upgrade when Y is overbooked.

My home airport has many leisure passengers and often fully booked in Y, but CX often has lots of available J seats. I signed up for MPC Green and had been upgraded once even with such low status.

Due to MPC having higher requirements and since I have an upcoming QR flight, I computed and I can make it either to MPC Silver or QR PC Gold. And in subsequent years, it might be easier for me to maintain status at MPC Green or QR PC Silver. I fly far more with CX though.

Will CX choose an MPC Green member to upgrade rather than a OW Ruby member from a partner airlines? How about an MPC Silver member compared to a OW Gold member from a partner airline?
-----
I don't have a lot of experience but since nobody else answered..... I was/am QR Silver and was upgraded on my first CX flight, PE to Business. Was traveling with my wife, who was/is QR Silver as well, but I turned it down to stay with her in PE. They must have been in a jam because they returned 5 minutes later and said ok, you're both upgraded. Extra nice being the TPAC HGK-LAX portion of our trip. I wasn't an MPC or Asia Miles member then, or now.

Even though all my flying will be East from Bangkok now, decided to stay with QR Privilege Club as it's easier to qualify and retain Silver tier. I need 300 points to qualify Silver in MPC, which is two full round trips in PE to LAX and back. 150 for QR, which is less than 2 full trips. Silver's good enough for me to use the Biz Class check in counter if I'm flying regular Eco. I don't fly enough now days to chase higher tiers and/or try to retain them.