Old Jan 13, 18, 10:25 am
ZbadhabitZ

Programs: Amex Platinum, Starwood Gold, VX elevate
Using Miles + Copay vs. 500-Mile Upgrade - Chances of Success

I apologize for a question that I know has been asked before, but despite my searches, I'm yet to come up with a concrete course of action. I am booked in the Main Cabin on a LAX-JFK flight later this month (321T, 3-cabin aircraft). I am a new AA Gold member as of the end of last year. I booked my seat on AA.com with the lowest Main Cabin fare listed. When booking, I did not opt to use my available 500-Mile Upgrades (of which I'd need, and have, 5) to be added to the waitlist for upgrades.

I'd like to maximize my chances of getting an upgrade to business, but am unclear if my chances of success would be to call AA and request to use a mileage upgrade (in this case, 15,000 miles + $75) or to use the AA mobile app and take advantage of the option to use my 5 500-Mile upgrades. Based on past experience, I know the LAX-JFK route is popular and the chance of a confirmed upgrade this far out is unlikely, so I'd be most likely be waitlisted. I've done mu research on FlyerTalk and around the web, but the upgrade priority process confuses me in the case of this particular scenario.

Any thoughts or practical experience on maximizing my chances of getting high enough up on the upgrade list to have a shot? Thanks!

Last edited by ZbadhabitZ; Jan 13, 18 at 10:44 am