FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "soft landing " if you don't hit current status? (Ended 2014)
Old Jan 11, 2018, 12:45 pm
mvoight
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by idratherbeinphl
Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere but I'm looking for advice. I'm currently ExP - having flown over 100k segments in 2016. In 2017, I was scheduled to do the same but a broken arm injury and a rescheduled international trip at the end of 2017 left me 20k miles short. I currently have an offer from AA to extend my status...but it's very expensive. I do think I will hit my goal this year but probably not until the end of the year. That being said should I...
  1. Potentially expect a "soft landing" (I have gotten this from US Airways a few times) to keep me in my current status?
  2. Call AAdvantage and plead my situation?
  3. Pay the fee to extend? Does anyone know if the offer expires on January 31, 2018? It's hard to discern through the legal language. Seems like it may extend until July 31, 2018 (which makes the potential for a soft landing less likely).
Thanks!
How did the "soft landing" on US work? As I recall, AA used to drop you one level, but doesn't anymore
I don't think AA generally did soft landing to the same level. They used to keep you at the same level if you were very close (I think within 1K EQM for EXP), but 20K is much too distant
Your statement seems to indicate you have at least 75K needed for Platinum Pro, do you have the required EQD amount for Platinum Pro
I guess the issue is whether paying for EXP is worth the difference you will get between PP and EXP, is you have qualified for PP
That depends on your travel patterns