FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hyatt + Amex Fine hotel and resorts
View Single Post
Old Jan 11, 2018, 9:26 am
Kacee
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by slm9555
stayed here on an FHR booking and I am a globalist now. When it came to a room upgrade they only upgraded me 1 level from my base booking. I inquired about a suite and they said with FHR booking they typically only upgrade 1 level and not multiple levels. I mentioned my globalist status and they said the FHR is a 3rd party booking and tried to distinguish it. I did push to get resort fee waived and club access but this was a little bit of a struggle. The hotel felt very strongly that FHR was a 3rd party and had no obligation to upgrade me to a standard suite.
They are wrong. The issue is not whether you've booked through a third party, it's whether you've booked an eligible rate. AMEX bookings have traditionally been "eligible" rates, whereas wholesale rates (e.g., Expedia) have not.

​​​
Originally Posted by Katlor
It seems like Hyatts are working harder these days to limit benefits unless you book directly through the website/hyatt phone line.
Definitely true, but this is a slightly different phenomenon, namely some Hyatt properties doing everything they can to weasel out of providing published benefits.