FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Back to Back in San Francisco
View Single Post
Old Jan 10, 2018, 7:45 am
G_CIVV

Originally Posted by PETER01
Is it possible for you to change to the day after paying a change fee and have a days rest? A few data points of my own. I was through SFO 3 times last year. June, October and December.

If you hotfoot it out of the plane and are also a 'returning ESTA' the process on all 3 occasions was extremely quick with the self serve ESTA machines which always appear to be well manned.

Trip 1) In Y - I walked very briskly overtaking many and the new machines are very easy to use. Landside in about 20 minutes

Trip 2) In F - Again very quick and no queue at all. Landside from leaving the aircraft in about 15 minutes.

Trip 3) In J - Same again as 2, roughly.

Security can have a bit of a wait though but if all goes well getting in your timings should be ok.

My experiences are the opposite of ttama and SFO staff although a bit surly looking were ok and on trip 2 almost had it all done for me!
Thanks for this detailed commentary Peter01. Unfortunately it will be a first time ESTA, although my allocated seat is upper deck CW on a 747.

My intention is to give it a go and see what happens - it would not be a problem if I ended up returning on the later BA A380 departure (assuming there was space).

I will report back on how it goes.