FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [ARCHIVE to 2019] Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}
Old Jan 9, 2018, 6:32 pm
sj22
formerly sahiljain22

Programs: Amex Plat; HH Diamond; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; United 1K; National EE; HSBC Premier
Originally Posted by Baze
Was just there the 13th-19th of December. My experience was 180 degrees different than yours for all but the last 2 points. My stay was great. Upgraded from the Terrace room to an Ocean View. Used points at 79K per night for 6 nights. All service was excellent. And dinner at Humuhumu was fantastic with an awesome table. Didn't try for any cabanas or lounge chairs so can't really comment other than there were always a couple of each available during our walks. Spa Grande was fantastic for my wife's Escape package and my pedicure. So I was very pleased.
No mine was 27-30th Dec, so probably much more busy, if not full house.

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
You probably were not upgraded, even though Diamond, because you booked so late. LIFO. A diamond who has held that reservation for 11 months, IMHO, should be the one upgraded.
My mindset was that I'd be perfectly happy with the Terrace/parking lot view I booked on points, so when we were upgraded to "only" garden view we were very happy.
I hope you addressed your room issues immediately (no toiletries, hairs) sounds like housekeeping did a very quick/shoddy job. If you call it to their attention I'm sure they would improve considerably.
Our experience was also very different because we went off season (Sept.) and were able to negotiate a great cabana for a good price.
Was the pool not great to you for some reason? I just loved the lazy river, I went round and round and round and...
The pool and beach were excellent, I have no "complaints" overall too but I didn't feel it overall matched up to what they were asking $$-wise.

Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
I am not sure what you expect. You book a hotel in Hawaii at the absolute busiest time of the year and then complain that you can't get adjoining rooms, you have a partial view of a parking lot and some other people who had reservations for months beat you to reserving cabanas and food at Humu? Am I reading this right? Guess why the hotel can charge $1000 per night for low end rooms this time of year......THEY ARE SLAMMED. This means people who planned their trips out in December and January of last year beat you to all of those things.
I will concede they should have clean rooms, with no hair in tub and Wailea does suffer from not having at least a Diamond check in line but the other stuff is just hard to read the complaints about
You are correct about expectations and who should get priority. But let me ask you this in return, if you paid last minute for a hotel in $$, would you be satisfied to not get an "expected" service? At one point, I was very close to paying $1200 for the only terrace room open in inventory. If anything, I would have assumed that it got me the cabana rather than someone who booked 11 months ago and paid a much less price. In my opinion, hotels like these charge for an experience, and that should stay consistent. If a hotel can't provide a service, then just make it clear like they do when the pools or elevators don't work.

Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
In fairness to the person posting, other than the cabanas, it didn't read as a complaint to me. More a series of observations. I think it's pretty much accepted that you won't get an upgrade at most resort hotels at this time of year, but it does seem that other aspects of the level of service expected from this property were poor. I do agree that the cabana thing is quite annoying, but I also find them over-priced anyway. However, if they're selling out the hotel obviously knows its market well.
I do love the GW, but I'd say it's WA based on location only. I wouldn't rate it as WA based on accommodation or service. Definitely a hotel I love going back to, but I don't quite agree with the brand position.

Agreed, not complaining. Just posting. I would have still given this property a 3.5 or 4 star.