FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What would you do in an emergency evacuation?
Old Jan 8, 2018, 12:14 pm
OccasionalFlyerPerson

Originally Posted by kb9522

Right, you're not responsible for your own safety... that's someone else's job!
That's a complete non-sequitur from my post. You are talking about people taking luggage down the slide when they should not be. They people taking the luggage are causing the problem; they are in the wrong. It simply isn't other people's responsibility to avoid luggage taken somewhere that it has no right to be, causing potentially life-threatening obstructions.

It's quite simple: if it's an emergency, you GTFO the plane. You don't stop to grab your luggage because you're so self-obsessed and entitled that your 'gizmos' are worth more than other people's lives.

Originally Posted by LTBoston
I just don't understand why there is any debate about this. It's one thing if people in an emergency situation are slow to react or revert to "normalcy" as described above. But making a *conscious decision* to hold up an evacuation to collect a carry-on based on one's own subjective assessment of the risk (which may or may not be accurate given the limited information available to passengers) is one of the most irresponsible things I've ever heard.
Self-obsession and entitlement. See the post quoted at the top of this post.